4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil and oregano
1/4 tsp. onion powder
For the sauce:
1/2 red pepper (or any another color)
3 diced mushrooms (optional)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup reduced salt chicken broth
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup milk
2 cup baby spinach
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
fettuccine or spaghetti noodles
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Pound the chicken breasts until they are thin (to your liking). In a large bowl, whisk 3/4 cup flour, sprinkle of salt and pepper, the basil, oregano and onion powder. Dip the chicken breasts into the bowl, coating both sides with the flour mixture. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet and brown chicken on both sides. Place chicken in a dish and bake for another 20 minutes.
3. To make the sauce: sauté the diced pepper in some oil for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté a few minutes longer. Remove the pepper and garlic mixture. In the empty pan, add 2 tbsp. oil, then whisk flour into the oil. Add the chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a boil.
4. In a bowl, combine the half and half and cornstarch, mixing until smooth. Add to the boiling sauce and reduce to a simmer. Stir in 1 cup of milk and the fresh spinach, chopped. Add the peppers as well as the parmesan cheese, garlic salt and a bit more pepper. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
5. Place the noodles on a dish, then the chicken, top with the sauce.